skip to main content

This is the direction goods are travelling.
To/through EU to GB, or to/through GB to EU.

3. GB Border

The driver must have all necessary reference numbers or documents

The driver must have all necessary reference numbers or documents

You may require a Goods Movement Reference (GMR) with permission to proceed (P2P) from the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS). This is dependent on the port the goods are leaving from and may involve documentary or physical checks, either at a Inland Border Facility, (only if leaving UK via Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead), or at the port of departure.

Nb. Goods from Ireland to Great Britain — a goods movement reference is only required if you’re moving goods under the Common Transit Convention using a Transit Accompanying Document.

List of ports using the Goods Vehicle Movement Service – GOV.UK (

Check how to move goods through ports that use the goods vehicle movement service – GOV.UK (

You may also need to submit an EXS declaration.

A carrier (meaning haulier for accompanied movements, and ferry operator for unaccompanied) is required to submit an EXS declaration to the customs authority of the country from which the consignment is being exported.

EXS data is normally merged with the export declaration (which is a customs declaration).

The person normally responsible for submitting a combined declaration is the exporter of the goods, or their representative.

If it is a separate declaration (e.g. for an empty truck), it is entered into the export control system (ECS).

A standalone EXS declaration is usually required if:

  • an empty container is being moved under a transport contract (a transport contract, or contract of carriage, is an agreement between a carrier and shipper or passenger, setting out each party’s duties and rights)
  • the goods have remained in temporary storage for more than 14 days
  • the goods have remained in temporary storage for less than 14 days but the import safety and security declaration details are unknown or where the destination or consignee details change
  • the goods are moved under transit using a Transit Accompanying Document (TAD) or Transit and Safety and Security Declaration (TSAD) – TSADs cannot be used to meet safety and security requirements in GB

For joint safety and security EXS declarations and customs export declarations, and for standalone safety and security EXS declarations, the submission can be made on the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system or the Customs Declaration Service (CDS). There is still the option to submit EXS declarations through CSP systems or third-party software providers.

A standalone EXS declaration is not required if empty pallets, empty containers and empty trucks are moved out of GB not under a transport contract.

Find out about the GB EXS process

For accompanied RoRo freight, the driver must have all necessary reference numbers or documents to meet the import requirements of the country they are entering in the EU. See the document checklist at the end. It is the responsibility of the GB exporter (with their customs agent and/or logistics provider) to ensure this is done, unless they have agreed another party will take responsibility for this as part of their incoterms.

It is the responsibility of the GB exporter (with their customs agent and/or logistics provider) to ensure this is done.

The trader who exports the goods from GB must:

  • confirm with the trader who imports the goods into the EU that all necessary formalities and requirements have been met, e.g. submitting an import declaration
  • give full, clear instructions to the haulage company and driver so that they know what to do
  • provide all necessary documentation and information, e.g. the Movement Reference Number (MRN) for the EU import declaration, and hard copies of any licenses or certificates MRN

Example of an MRN Import barcode

Make sure the relevant safety and security ENS requirements have been met for the movement for the country the goods are being moved to.

For accompanied freight, the haulier is responsible for submitting the entry summary declaration – also known as the safety and security ENS declaration – into the member state’s import control system (ICS) at the first point of entry to the EU.

This is of particular importance at GB roll on roll off (RoRo) ports and terminals, especially those which do not have port inventory systems.

The data required for an ENS declaration includes:

  • consignor
  • consignee
  • a description of the goods
  • routing (country by country)
  • conveyance (e.g. ferry or Eurotunnel details)
  • time of arrival

A valid EU member state EORI number is required to make EU ENS declarations. A third party may lodge a declaration as long as this is done with the knowledge of the carrier and consent. The responsible party must make sure that:

    • an entry summary declaration is submitted
    • declarations are submitted within the legal time limits

The third party must also make sure that the information given by the carrier is accurate.

The deadline for lodging the ENS declaration for goods moving by road is at least one hour before arrival.

You can now check-in for boarding. Follow Border Force directions at the point of exit from the UK, or follow directions received onboard during the ferry crossing.