skip to main content

This is the direction goods are travelling.
To/through EU to GB, or to/through GB to EU.

1. Pre-journey

If you’re transporting goods from the European Union (EU) to Great Britain (GB), you may need additional paperwork before starting your journey and picking up goods.

Valid international driving licences will be accepted in the UK until 1 October 2021. Prepare for additional customs and border requirements below.

Before 1 October 2021, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can enter the UK with a passport or national identity card, as they do now.

From 1 October 2021, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will need a passport to travel to the UK.

This will not apply to EU, EEA and Swiss nationals whose rights are protected by the withdrawal agreements, including those covered by the EU Settlement Scheme and frontier workers. They will still be able to use national identity cards for travel until 31 December 2025 at least.

Driver and vehicle documentation

EU operators doing business to, from or through the UK will need to carry proof of motor insurance for their vehicle and trailer. A Green Card or other proof of motor insurance will be recognised in the UK.

Access to the UK

EU operators are able to undertake unlimited journeys to, from and through the UK, with up to two cabotage movements in the UK, provided they are performed following a journey from the EU, and within 7 days of unloading in the UK.


It is the trader’s responsibility to make customs declarations and provide the haulage company and driver with the correct documents. This can be done directly or via a third party, for example a freight forwarder, logistics company or customs agent.

Haulage company

The haulage company must ensure their driver has all the necessary customs information and documents and other paperwork.

The haulage company must also make sure that their drivers know what documents to present at each stage of the journey, including:

  • on road pre-departure inspections – checks to demonstrate border readiness
  • at ports or train terminals
  • at customs posts


The driver must carry the information and documentation provided by the haulage company in the vehicle for the duration of the journey. This also includes information and documentation necessary to meet EU member state requirements. This is because each movement of goods from the EU to the UK is both an export movement for EU authorities and import movement for UK authorities.

It is vital that drivers know what information and documentation is needed, and where, when and how they will be presented and checked.

All goods being moved from Ireland to GB will require an export declaration. The Irish exit summary declaration contains the safety and security EXS declaration details.

For goods being exported via RoRo a Pre-Boarding Notification needs to be completed prior to arrival at the port of departure in Ireland using Irish Revenue’s RoRo service.

EU export declarations are the responsibility of the exporter and will be submitted using the existing Automated Entry Processing (AEP) system. The AEP system handles the validation, processing, duty accounting and clearance of customs declarations.

For information about the Irish Revenue – Customs electronic systems.

Further details are available in the Haulier Handbook

Once you’ve completed all of these requirements, you are ready to start your journey and collect the goods.