skip to main content

This is the direction goods are travelling.
To/through EU to GB, or to/through GB to EU.

4. GB Border

When you arrive in the United Kingdom (UK), you will now have to pass through Great Britain (GB) customs before continuing your journey.

You may be asked to show your required evidence documents to customs officers or Border Force depending on which method you are moving goods.

UK Border Force officers may stop vehicles to carry out certain checks.

When they do, they will take the vehicle off-line and ask the driver to present the references (for example CHIEF entry number, MRN and/or EORI) for each consignment, along with other documentation or information as required.

Where goods are moved without sufficient evidence that a declaration has been made, the haulier may be liable to a penalty.

For goods moving under the CTC, haulage companies must follow either the paper-based process or the goods vehicle movement service (GVMS) process to complete the transit movement on entry to GB.

Which process applies will depend on the location the goods arrive at.

An overview of locations and processes is included within the Border Operating Model and will be expanded upon in future iterations of this document. Exporters / agents must give the haulage company all TAD MRNs which has been activated for each CTC consignment.

A valid movement reference number (MRN) proves that the driver has the right declaration to move goods under transit.

The paper TAD must also always travel with the goods moving via transit.

If entering the UK at a location using the paper-based procedure, the haulier will need to report to the Office of Transit with the goods and paper TAD on arrival in the UK.

Customs authorities will complete the Office of Transit and request any necessary inspections.

If entering the UK at a location using the GVMS, haulage companies must use GVMS to link all the TAD movement reference numbers (MRNs) into one GMR for each trailer movement. NB: a GMR may include non-CTC consignments (e.g. CHIEF entry numbers) for trucks carrying both CTC and non-CTC goods.


The haulage company must ensure the Office of Departure processes, including any control actions, are completed and that the transit movement has started before they enter any detail into the Goods Movement Reference (GMR).

If they enter a TAD MRN for a movement that has not been released, GVMS could invalidate the transit declaration for the movement. The trader would need to submit a new transit declaration to restart the transit movement before the goods could be moved to the UK.

They can use GVMS in in two ways:

  • a direct link from their own system into the GVMS
  • the online service on GOV.UK – a Government Gateway user ID and password are required for this

For each trailer movement using GVMS, haulage companies or drivers update the GMR with the correct vehicle registration number (VRN) for accompanied movements, or the trailer registration number (TRN) or container reference number (CRN) for unaccompanied movements.

The VRN/TRN/CRN can be updated to cater for any changes but must be correct when the GMR is presented to the carrier at the point of departure.

Drivers can not board international ferries or Eurotunnel without a valid GMR.

They must not proceed to the border:

  • before all the necessary references are added into a GMR
  • if any transit declaration reference has not been accepted onto the GMR Drivers need to present the GMR to the carrier on arrival at the point of departure to show that they have the necessary evidence to legally move goods.

Drivers must comply with instructions issued by border authorities to proceed to a specific location for checks once arrived in the UK, if necessary.

NB: The GMR can only be updated using the same access as the one used to create it. You cannot ask another company to update it, unless you share your own access to GVMS. This is very different to, for example, the French Envelope system, because any company can access it on the website to update it before the crossing.

If the movement is made under the CTC, the driver must present the TAD at the UK office of destination or to an authorised consignee, where the transit procedure will be closed.

The goods will then be subject to UK import procedures, or need to be entered to another customs facilitation. The driver must be aware of the location of their Office of Destination declared by the trader. This could be at the port of entry, an Inland Border Facility or an authorised consignee location.

The driver must report to the right location with the goods and the paper TAD to close the movement. Failure to do so may result in delays to the procedure being closed, and difficulty releasing the financial guarantee.

The driver must follow the port’s local procedures for the presentation of an ATA carnet.


The driver must follow the port’s local procedures for the presentation of the TIR carnet.

The driver must present the TIR carnet to the customs office located at the port to open the transit movement for the GB leg. Customs will check the documents, the seal, put a stamp on the relevant page of TIR carnet and detach it.

The driver will go to the customs office of destination or TIR authorised consignee’s premises to ensure that the TIR carnet is handled. After that the customs seals can be removed and goods unloaded.

It is possible that the border customs office performs both entry and destination TIR procedures.


Once the vehicle has completed its journey, the driver must return the TIR carnet to their office/manager.

Once you have passed through UK customs, drivers must comply with instructions issued by border authorities and may be required to proceed to a specific location for checks.