skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

Yes, they will not be charged for any treatment related to COVID 19, as per the guidance below.

No, hauliers will be given a discharge certificate and this will allow them the cross the border, should a negative test be required.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer practice for international hauliers – GOV.UK (

The driver and crew must isolate in the cab of their vehicle while they are working in England.

You can leave the cab for essential purposes, including to:

    • obtain food
    • take a COVID-19 test
    • seek medical and emergency assistance
    • use wash facilities including using communal showers
    • exercise
    • carry out work, such as deliveries, loading and unloading
    • ensure your vehicle and load are roadworthy
    • finalise customs documentation at a Customs / HMRC inland border facility
    • You should also leave your vehicle if directed to do so by enforcement officials.

If you are covered under the green list rules or fully vaccinated amber list rules, you do not need to isolate in-cab or quarantine on arrival, although you are encouraged to stay in your cab whilst working to limit your exposure to COVID-19.

Please guide them to these links for commodity code guidance:

Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates –


UK Global Online Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates –

Economic Operators Registration and Identification number (EORI).

You need an EORI number to move goods between the UK and non-EU countries.

Since 1 January 2021 you have needed one to move goods between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) or the Isle of Man, and the EU.

You may also need a separate EORI number if you move goods to or from Northern Ireland.

If you do not have an EORI, you may have increased costs and delays. For example, if HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) cannot clear your goods you may have to pay storage fees.

Standard industrial classification of economic activities (SIC) codes relate to the business activities, rather than the load being carried.
If just a haulage company carrying cars and parts then the SIC code could be “49410 – Freight transport by road”

If they are the exporter of the car or car parts then there will be different codes for these. See below

The below GOV.UK website has 2 PDFs to download – 1 for Custom agents and 1 for Fast parcel Operators.

The legislation provides for the granting of temporary approval to government departments to provide facilities in specified local authority areas for the stationing and processing of HGVs entering or leaving the UK.

It also allows for the provision of associated temporary facilities and infrastructure.

The legislation specifies that the facilities will cease operation prior to 31 December 2025

Some of the Inland Border Facilities can stamp ATA Carnets, and can be the Office of Departure for transit movements.

You should tell HMRC in advance that you’re attending an inland border facility if the goods you’re moving:

      • are going to an office of departure or office of destination (starting or ending a transit movement)
      • are covered by an ATA Carnet

A road consignment (CMR) note is a standard contract used by companies who want to use a provider to transport goods internationally by road.

The CMR note confirms that the haulage company has received the goods and has a contract from the supplier to carry them.

You must have a CMR note on all international journeys if you’re carrying goods on a commercial basis.

The CMR note can be filled in by either:

      • you (the haulier)
      • the company sending the goods abroad
      • a freight forwarder

You will need 3 copies of a CMR note, including one:

      • for the supplier of the goods
      • for the eventual customer
      • to accompany the goods while they are being transported
      • Sample of CMR document.

You can buy pre-printed CMR notes from the Road Haulage Association (RHA) and Logistics UK.

For further advice :

They’ll need an Export Health Certificate and all the customs paper work. However they don’t need a catch certificate.

In addition to the export health certificate as appropriate for the product/live aquatic animal being transported, if they are transporting live fish, then they will have to meet the welfare in transport rules, and if these hauliers are GB registered, then, unless it is specifically covered in the agreement between the EU and the UK, they will require:

    1. a transporter authorisation,
    2. a certificate of approval for the vehicle and
    3. the operator will have to have a certificate of competence issued by an EU member state.

Details (from the EU web portal) are here:

Advice from APHA is to check with the importing agency (customs) in the country the horses are going to.

There is no current EHC certificate for haylage/animal feed if being transported with the animals as this falls under animal welfare.

email –
call – 0300 020 0301

The driver and recovery vehicle would need the same documents as in:

Vehicle being towed/carried back would count as means of transport Regulation 25 CIDEER which allows by conduct declarations for Part D (Oral by Conduct List) goods. So on return to the UK a Customs declaration will be required but at most locations the declaration can be made for the free-circulation procedure by conduct for a means of transport if a relief from import duty is available. A relief will be due if the vehicle was previously in free-circulation in the UK.

When boarding the ferry the haulier will not need a GMR before 1 January 2022 but will need to confirm (in T&Cs for passage) that the declaration requirements are being complied with.

The conduct that is required is that the vehicle disembarks from a vessel and driven past a Customs office. If stopped by Border Force officers, drivers should advise that a declaration by conduct has been made for these vehicles

At the EU side of the EU-GB journey it should be noted that UK owned vehicles that are returning to the UK from the EU (including broken down vehicles that are towing an empty vehicle would need to comply with the Union Customs Code. For example French Customs guidance should provide details on what is required to get these vehicles through the French border although goods which are deemed to be declared for release for free circulation procedure include, “means of transport which benefit from relief from import duty as returned goods” [Article 138 (3) Commission Delegated Regulation 2015/2446]

Yes a phytosanitary certificate (PC) must accompany consignments of plants and plant products.

Exporting plants and plant products to the EU and NI – UK Plant Health Information Portal (

A trader applies for a PC from the relevant plant health authority:

  • Animal and Plant Health Agency in England and Wales
  • Scottish Government in Scotland
  • Forestry Commission in England, Wales and Scotland for wood, wood products and bark

The driver needs to confirm with the trader or haulage company that the EU-based import agent has told the relevant BCP about the arrival of the consignment at least 24 hours before intended arrival.
The driver must carry a physical copy of each EHC or PC for their consignment. The consignments may be checked upon arrival at the EU BCP.

If you have any queries about moving horses and other equines between the UK and EU member states, you can:

call 0300 020 0301

If personal goods being taken by the owner in their own vehicle, no export paperwork required, as this will be a declaration by conduct, but would need to check customs limits, (See page 44 – Movements of personal goods)

If being done commercially then customs declaration, etc will be required, the regulations are the same whether it is new, second hand or antique.

They may also need export licences – “Certain cultural goods that reach or exceed specific age and monetary value thresholds require an individual licence for export out of the UK – whether on a permanent or temporary basis. (dependent on age, value)” Export licensing | Arts Council England

If personal moves as part of moving main home, then likely minimal controls in France and Spain. If gong to second home or holiday homes, then VAT and duty may be liable.

Again would need to check French customs regulations and Spanish customs regulations (similar rules will no doubt apply to other countries in the EU)

If unprocessed wooden furniture, e.g, garden benches made out of branches with bark, etc, then may also need a Phytosanitary certificate.

Yes solid wooden pallets will require phytosanitary certificate, unless they have the ISPM15 mark similar to the below.

The ISPM15 Mark means that the wood has been through Phytosanitary measures, so it would not need doing again.

However if the packaging/pallet does not carry the correct stamp or has been modified or repaired, then it will need a phytosanitary certificate or be re-stamped at an authorised supplier.

Solid wood packaging must meet the ISPM15 international standards if you use it to import goods into Great Britain.

If you use wood packaging to export goods, check if the country you’re trading with accepts ISPM15 standards and if they have any other requirements. The EU uses ISPM15 as its standard.

Nb. To ship from NI to EU or to the UK it is not required to be ISPM15 compliant, but it is from UK to NI.

All commercial imports/exports will require customs formalities.

The size of the truck makes no difference.

The Movement Reference Number (MRN) for the EU import declaration has a barcode on it to uniquely identify the shipment to the trader.

More paperwork may be required depending on the type of product being shipped and the way of shipping. pre-notification(pre-lodgement), CTC, ATA, TIR.

You only need your UK Licence for the Community if your journey is between the UK and an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. You do not need an ECMT permit.

You can also use your UK Licence for the Community to carry out 2 cross-trade jobs (moving goods between 2 countries) in the EU, but you need an ECMT permit if you want to carry out a third cross-trade job.

The ECMT permit will let you carry out 3 cross-trade jobs between any ECMT country.

You can use ECMT international road haulage permits for journeys between 43 ECMT member countries.

No, a Government Gateway account is not required to receive updates, but you will need a account, to save Brexit Checker results and to get future Brexit updates.

UK hauliers/drivers can continue to operate in the EU without the need for a visa, providing they do not spend more than 90 days in the EU within any 180-day period.

However UK hauliers/drivers, as do all all UK travellers, need at least 3 months, from the planned date of return, on a UK passport to travel to the EU.

Check a passport for travel to Europe – GOV.UK (

If you have an EU or EEA Driving licence.

You can drive any type of vehicle listed on your full and valid licence –

If you have a licence from other countries.

You can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB) –

NB.  From other countries. If you’ve got a bus or lorry licence you can only drive buses or lorries that are registered outside Great Britain if you’ve actually driven the vehicle into Great Britain yourself.

UK hauliers/drivers can continue to operate in the EU without the need for a visa, providing they do not spend more than 90 days in the EU within any 180-day period.

However UK hauliers/drivers, as do all all UK travellers, need at least 3 months, from the planned date of return, on a UK passport to travel to the EU.

Check a passport for travel to Europe – GOV.UK (

From the 1 October 2021, changes to government legislation will mean that most EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can only travel to the UK using a valid passport, unless they have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 or otherwise have protected rights under the Citizens’ Rights Agreements.

From 1 October, an ID card will no longer be accepted for travel to the UK, unless the exceptions apply.

Anyone travelling to the UK on an invalid travel document may be refused entry at the border.

Using the Irish Customs Roll-on Roll-off service ( is a pre-requisite to receive the PBN, without which access to the ferry will be denied.

Further information on ENS requirements for Ireland can be found at:

Failure to submit the ENS may result in being unable to submit the PBN and not being able to travel.

As of 28 September 2021, the GB sticker has been replaced with the UK sticker.

Drivers do not need a UK sticker if their number plate includes the UK identifier on its own or with the Union flag.

Vehicles registered in Great Britain or Northern Ireland do not need to display a UK sticker to drive in Ireland.

Drivers must display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of vehicles and trailers if their number plate has any of the following:

  • a Euro symbol a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales numbers and letters only
  • no flag or identifier

When driving in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, drivers must display a UK sticker no matter what is on their number plate.

Driving in the EU – GOV.UK (

Yes, you must take a coronavirus test before you enter Kent if you’re carrying:

polymerising substances
infectious substances
radioactive substances
goods that are of high consequence for terrorism

This is because these types of loads are not allowed at the sites in Kent. You’ll be refused access if you’re carrying them.

Check with your transport manager or consignor if you’re not sure if your goods fall into any of these categories.

France has made it mandatory for Blind Spot Stickers on all vehicles plated over 3.5 tonne. It is called an ‘Angle Mort Sticker’

The fine is currently 135 euro’s if not complied with.

For sticker positioning:

There is a waiver for 12 months in that these exact design of “Angle Mort” stickers are not required, but only if a different version of the stickers is fitted.

Most petrol stations near the border apparently sell them, can also be bought online.

UK drivers do not need to carry a Green Card when traveling to the following countries.

      • the EU (including Ireland)
      • Andorra
      • Bosnia and Herzegovina
      • Iceland
      • Liechtenstein
      • Norway
      • Serbia
      • Switzerland

However drivers will still need to carry proof of insurance, such as policy documents, and if travelling throught the EU to other third countries, then green cards may still be required.

Check for further updates at Vehicle insurance:

The Operation Brock contraflow was de-activated on 1st August 2021.

This means that there is no traffic management in place so HGVs can use any route, however, to avoid local traffic disruption we would advise hauliers to avoid the smaller roads within Kent.

The moveable barrier remains along the side of the M20 for use if the contraflow is needed again to help with any future cross-channel disruption.

Check for updates at (Opens in new tab)