Do non-UK based hauliers require an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the UK?

If you have an EU or EEA Driving licence.

You can drive any type of vehicle listed on your full and valid licence – (Opens in new tab)

If you have a licence from other countries.

You can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB) – (Opens in new tab)

NB.  From other countries. (If you’ve got a bus or lorry licence you can only drive buses or lorries that are registered outside Great Britain if you’ve actually driven the vehicle into Great Britain yourself.)

Do I need a Visa to drive in the EU?

UK drivers can continue to operate in the EU without the need for a visa, providing they do not spend more than 90 days in the EU within any 180-day period.

However UK drivers, as do all all UK travellers, need at least 6 months on a UK passport to travel to the EU

What is changing with ID cards and passports in Oct 2021?

From the 1 October 2021, changes to government legislation will mean that most EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can only travel to the UK using a valid passport, unless they have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 or otherwise have protected rights under the Citizens’ Rights Agreements.

From 1 October, an ID card will no longer be accepted for travel to the UK, unless the exceptions apply. (Opens in a new tab)

Anyone travelling to the UK on an invalid travel document may be refused entry at the border.